Astrological Tarot Lesson II: Aries, the Emperor and Mars
What every good magician needs to know.
“But Naha, I’m not an Aries, what do I care?”
Remember, a fully evolved person has learned and faced the trials of every sign. The clues to solving the trials lie in each sign’s tendencies and virtues. Know the signs and you will be a strong navigator of your life.
From THE KYBALION: “The Masters, knowing the rules of the game, rise above the plane of material life, and placing themselves in touch with higher powers of their nature, dominate their own moods, characters, qualities, and polarity, as well as the environment surrounding them and thus become Movers in the game, instead of Pawns – Causes instead of Effects.” -The Three Initiates
As we saw last time, the zodiac signs have three modes which occur in the order:
Cardinal – Fixed – Mutable
- Cardinal signs are are the Initiators as they usher in each new season. They are the purest most quintessential aspect of their Element.
- Fixed signs have a stubborn disposition, are the most powerful and dominant, and have the persistence and stability to carry the energy through mid-season. The fixed signs are represented in the imagery of the World card and the Wheel of Fortune.
- Mutable signs are the most flexible and malleable and because of this they can allow for change as we wrap up each season and shift into the next one. They are the signs of Metamorphosis.
When there is a Full Moon, the Moon is in the opposite sign as the sun. The opposing signs of the zodiac are of the same mode. What that means is that with the Sun in the Cardinal Fire sign Aries, the Full Moon will be in the Cardinal Air sign Libra. Libra is ruled by Venus.
- Mars and Venus are lovers
- The beginning of the Zodiacal year is the Spring Equinox.
- This is the time of REBIRTH. INTUITION. OUTWARD GROWTH. ENERGY.
- The Cardinal Fire sign Aries initiates Spring
- Aries the Ram likes to put their head down and move forward. Like all fire signs they are motivators, but if you don’t move when they push you they might just mow you down. Take a deep breath and be open to critique.
The Tarot card associated with Aries is the 4th card of the Major Arcana “The Emperor.”
He is the Archetype of Tradition and strength of foundation. His attitude is “my way or the highway.” He is precise in his aims and unbending. Exactitude and Sovereignty. Your challenge this month is to find the balance between the tried and true way and a potentially more relevant or efficient way. Breaking from tradition doesn’t have to mean getting sloppy.
The sign of Aries associates to the head, face, brain, eyes. Pay special attention to these areas of your body. Address what is going on there.
Aries is ruled by Mars.
The planet Mars is named after the Roman God, as is the month of March and Martis, the Latin name for Tuesday. Mars was the son of Jupiter and Juno, and was the Roman god of war. He was the lover of Venus and the father of the famous Roman heroes Romulus and Remus, the founders of the city of Rome. For the remainder of April, Mars will be in the sign of Sagittarius, adding fire to fire. Use this time to take action and progress, narrowing your focus like a laser aimed at your target.
Herbs, Resins and Plants for working Mars magic: Dragon’s Blood, Galangal, Oak Bark, Red Sandalwood, Basil, Garlic, Nettle, Onion, Radish, Rhubarb, Tobacco, Wormwood.