These are my tried and true techniques for clearing the noise out of the head plus my go-to crystals. by Naha Armády
- Breathe. Focusing on your breath is the first go-to for mind clearing, as it is the most effective way to gain control over the Mental Body, through the control of the element of Air. When we override our unconscious breathing and make it a conscious activity – deciding how big of a breath we are going to take, how long we will hold it in, and controlling our exhale, pushing all of the air out of our lungs completely, we show our mind that it is possible to override unconscious activities such as being stuck in mental loops or other forms of psychic chaos.
- Aromatherapy. This one goes along with number 1. A good essential oil can be the ticket to help you to center yourself and quiet the noise. Choose a calming scent like vetiver, lavender or bergamot, or a woodsy scent like cedar. Place a couple of drops in the palm of your hand along with a bit of unscented lotion or carrier oil. Rub your palms together briskly and place them over your face, taking a few big deep breaths in. Don’t just smell it, feel it. Essential oils can have a wonderful grounding and relaxing effect.
- Affirmation. I like to repeat this one to myself when I feel self-doubt, negative thinking and worry starting to intrude. “No negative thoughts can bind me. No outside situation can undermine me, or stand in the way of my soul’s destiny” Say it to yourself, say it out loud, with conviction and determination. Another good affirmation is the Serenity Prayer – “(God), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference”. Take ownership over your mind and your focus.
- Move. I believe that increased anxiety and overthinking is one of symptoms of a lifestyle of greater and greater convenience. There is so much less need than ever before to make efforts for most daily tasks. Things happen at the push of a button or by a simple voice request, eliminating the need to even move. Stagnant energy is negative energy and the more sedentary we are, the less we are naturally clearing the mind. Bike, walk, run, hike, stretch, or find another activity you enjoy. This also improves your lung capacity (number 1 again) and overall physical health and allows you to free yourself from mental traps.
- Clean your room. It is true that your home is an extension of your own personal environment and auric body. If you find yourself unable to find peace of mind at home, take an honest look at the state of your space. Is there clutter? Chores undone? Could things be organized better or shifted around to create more flow? Even just 30 minutes of tidying and getting a thing or two off your to-do list at home can bring a great deal more peace to the mental body.
- Nourish. The mood and mind go hand and hand, and your moods are extremely influenced by what you are putting in your body. Clean eating with minimal sugars and processed foods combined with plenty of water keep static mental buildup at bay. You can also try a natural mood stabilizing supplement. I take Ashwaganda and find it very effective.
- Write. Getting your thoughts out of your head and onto paper can free up a lot of real estate in the mind. When we are repeating the same thought over and over there is something that we are missing, because if we could see it from a perspective of clarity we would be able to take corrective action, process it, or let it go. Whatever is running on repeat, write it down. Then take a look at what you wrote. If it is useful, keep it. If it is harmful or negative, destroy it. Create a fire ritual if needed.
- Make music. Thoughts are carried on waves, and so is music. This can be one of the best ways to override disharmonic thought forms. Put on your favorite artist and sing along. Play an instrument. If you are not musically inclined, try investing in a singing bowl. It is a great meditation practice and improves coordination and patience. The vibration of a singing bowl is very soothing to the mind. If you’re able to attend a sound bath in person, try it!
- Mantra/Intonation. Repeating a mantra is an ancient technique for mind clearing. This Sanskrit word translates as mind-tool, essentially making your mind into a useful instrument. You can try chanting OM, or vibrating another magical phrase. I like to chant I-A-O (ee-ah-oh) the sacred Egyptian resurrection formula. Intonation/Vibrating phrases is a big part of Qabalistic magic, and it works on all of the subtle bodies. Performing the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram uses intonation and is a great way to keep the mind clear. If you are doing a simple mantra and not a whole ritual, the traditional way is to chant the mantra 108 times.
- Pull the plug. When you start to feel that call of distraction, obsessive thinking, speculating, anxiety, projection from another person, or whatever the nuisance may be coming down the metaphoric line, do not answer the call! I like to actually say to myself “We’re sorry, the number you have dialed is no longer in service” when I feel a negative projection coming towards me. Catch it before it gets a chance to sink its hooks into you!
Good crystals for clearing the mind: Fluorite, Lepidolite, Smoky Quartz, Lithium Quartz, Clear, blue or green Calcite, Angelite.
Place them on the forehead, under the pillow, on the temples, and on the higher heart pointing down.
Except for the Angelite, rinse them under cold water after using them and recharge on an altar
Remember, your focus is your own and you have the right to choose what you give it to. Make it one of your most valuable possessions! Surround it with self-respect and become the boss of your own mind. The more that you get centered, and clear, the easier it gets to simply LET GO.